Monday, December 4, 2006

NCCF Family Song

Under his direction, the whole body is fitted together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.

Ephesians 4:16



Those of you who've served and were active with the Nigerian Christian Corpers' Fellowship will probably have a sense of nostalgia when hearing or singing the Family Song. I simply love the song for it's sense of camaraderie and fellowship, both in the words and in the way it's sung. It's one of the things I'm going to miss most about NYSC. In a few lines it speaks about brotherly love, serving together and fellowship. One gets a sense of true koinonia (communion) in these words. Let me walk you through.

It's usually sung at the end of a meeting. Everyone stands in a circle, if it's a small enough group, and holds hands, as the song leader intones, "Do you love this Family?" We respond,

I love this Family of God.

So closely knitted into one.

They have taken me into their arms

And I'm so glad to be

A part of this great Family.

The warm welcome that this verse refers to is something anyone would love to be a part of. Even as a newcomer to God's house you're not just a guest. You're part of the family. Now that's something to be glad about.

Then there's a call and response verse with each line repeated:

Hand in hand together we will go (repeat)

Don't you know you mean so much to me (repeat)

I need you to build this Family (repeat)

This verse underscores the fact that the work of the House of God requires everyone to work together, for the common good. We're all important and have a role to play.

And then we sort of "break it down" reggae style:

NCCF is a big family, "Oh Yes!"

NCCF is a big family, "Oh Yes!"

I love the way you walk,

I love the way you talk,

I love the way you smile,

I love the way you sing, etc.

Now, only in heaven will I possibly like everything about you. But this looks forward with great positivity. I can love you fully by God's grace.

Then we all lift our hands as we sing,

Higher and higher we will go, (repeat)

Don't you know you mean so much to me, (repeat)

I need you to build this Family. (repeat)

And then the energetic coda to round it all up is the famous song "We are heirs".

We are heirs of the Father,

We are joint-heirs with the Son,

We are children of the Kingdom,

We are Family, we are One.

What a great way to end it. I sing this song with all the energy I've got.

I hope I've got some of you to sing it with me. The irony of it all is that my favorite part of all NCCF programs is the very end.

Yes! I love this Family of God!

With love, Doosuur.

1 comment: