Monday, February 26, 2007

A Toothache

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

John 16:33



If you've ever experienced a toothache you will know just how excruciating the pain can become. It's so uncomfortable because you feel so helpless. You touch the offending tooth and think up ways to stop the pain but to no avail. Until you have the tooth removed, the pain persists.

I'm suffering from toothache right now. Last night I slept fitfully and woke up often to take pain medication. But this morning it became much worse. Just now, I was dancing around because of the pain and could have just about burst into tears, quite literally, when the pain disappeared. I mean it simply vanished. I cannot explain it in the least. All I know is that one moment I was experiencing some of the most intense pain of my life and the next moment it was gone. Wow! If you ever needed proof that miracles still happen…

The significance of my sudden relief is not lost on me. It's the kind of "twinkling of an eye" event that scripture talks about. In 1 Corinthians 15 Paul tells us that these earthly, corruptible bodies will be exchanged for heavenly, immortal bodies in the twinkling of an eye. Just like that. One moment this, the next moment that.

"Our bodies now disappoint us," he says, "but when they are raised, they will be full of glory. They are weak now, but when they are raised, they will be full of power." What a momentous occasion, I can hardly wait.

In developing his argument, Paul uses the analogy of a seed sown into soil. It's planted in one form and grows into another. But before it can become a fruiting plant the seed must die, change form, be watered, and endure the scorching sun, the relentless rain and the blistering cold until it reaches maturity. It must go through a lot of pain before it can become what it was meant to be all along. But in the end, the entire process is worth it. What a sweet relief!

The same applies to us. In this world we will experience suffering, hardships and, yes, toothaches, but in the end it will all be gone, in the twinkling of an eye. And it will all be worth it.

With love, Doosuur.

No comments:

Post a Comment