Saturday, September 22, 2007

One of Them Days

I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from … robbers … I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights … Often I have shivered with cold … If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am.

2 Corinthians 11:26,27,30


You know those days when it seems all but the worst has happened … and then the worst happens? When it seems it's just you against the world? You've passed through several by now, no doubt and I'm sure you recognize them pretty early on. If you don't, let me help you.

You know you're having one of 'em days when ...

… you wake up 30 minutes earlier than usual and realize it is September the 22nd

… you remember in the same thought, you've got to go pick dad from Abuja Airport and

… it's your friend Mike's wedding day, so you think

… I've got to be snappy because if I miss his day,

Mike's going to kill me.

And so...

… you go to the bathroom and turn the faucet but cold water gushes out

… you wonder why you switched off the water heater last night

… you manage a quick shower and dress up but

… you cannot find the car documents

… and when you start the car, the tank is empty

… but thankfully a petrol attendant is awake and you think

… perhaps I can make it to Abuja and back,

So Mike won't have to kill me.

But then…

… dad's plane is 20 minutes late

… dad's luggage is 45 minutes later

… a Mack truck carrying a huge earth-mover rams into the vehicle behind you

… it takes the grace of God and quick reflexes and you escape by the skin of your teeth,

… and it's just noon, so you think

… Mike should have seen this,

Perhaps Mike will let me live.

Now wait a minute because …

… the tire blows out

… the tire jack is too tall

… the spare is bad and you can only wobble along at 30kph

… the next town is Keffi

… again, the next town is Keffi

… you wonder why they bother calling it a town anyhow

… you have no money!!!

… it is Saturday and the young men who's help you seek have never heard of an ATM machine

… Diamond Bank shows up from nowhere, the ATM actually works!

… the tire is fixed but you are 2 hours behind schedule and now you know,

Mike is going to kill me.

So…

… you make it home

… you are grateful you are in one piece

… a phone call confirms you are too late, but yet

… you thank God that at least you still have life

… but that may not matter in a little while because …

… Mike is definitely going to kill me.

With love, Doosuur

No comments:

Post a Comment