Friday, December 14, 2007

Are You Ready To Live?

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.

Philippians 1:21,22

My life flashed before my eyes today when, through a foolishly heroic act, I was exposed to what may be a potentially lethal dose of a deadly virus. For not the first time in my life I was faced with the real possibility of death and I asked myself that all-important question, "are you ready to die?"

I must admit I felt a little smug as I answered myself. Yes I'm ready to meet my Maker. Yes I know where I will go. I may not have lived the most fulfilling life, but yes I am reasonably satisfied. Yes I am ready to die. Perhaps I too, like Paul could proudly say, "for me to live is Christ, to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21) Indeed the thought of dying is scary. But the thought of death, that is, well, almost comforting.

But then as my mind wandered further, I recalled an Easter Sunday sermon in a missionary village several years ago. It was the same village where the white missionaries had come to die after first encountering this virus back in the 60s. In his discourse, the parson narrated how, during his honeymoon he had gallantly told his bride, "I love you so much, I could die for you." She summarily burst his bubble when she replied, "I don't want you to die for me. Dying is easy. I want you to live for me."

Too true. As ironic as it may seem, it is entirely plausible that the single most selfish thing I could do right now is to die. I am not living for myself. I am living for people. And I am living for Christ. It's too easy to focus on the "die is gain" part and neglect the "live is Christ" portion of Paul's earth-moving statement. I have a responsibility to live. A responsibility to my parents. To my family. To my friends. To my children, when indeed I get them. I have a responsibility to tens and hundreds of people I have never met.

And all of a sudden it came to me. God expects of me to do my utmost not to die. So long as I can, I must go on living. To live, that is Christ. No easy way out for me. So, for your information, I'll be around for some while longer. I will live and not die, not just yet.

With love, Doosuur.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You! What you say is so true. We as Christians aren't here just to live a good life and then die. We are here to be "Christ", and show Christ to those who are looking for something more to their life. It is so great to see someone who understands that that is our purpose here on this earth.

    ReplyDelete