Saturday, November 11, 2006

Missing socks

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Hebrews 13:6




I recently visited home in Jos, from my "service" station. It just so happens that I forgot to take along a pair of socks. So I went into my old room, looking for what I might wear. I found seven socks. No, not seven pairs of socks. Seven individual stockings, all of them dark blue or black, but not a single one matched. Oh bother!

Reminds me of this joke I once read:

Q: What does it mean when all your socks match?

A: You've started losing them in pairs!

I even hear that some clothing companies have started making socks in threes so that when (not if) you lose one you'll still come up with a pair.

Thinking about this, I considered that if I and God were a sock and it's mate, it's no wonder that one of us always gets missing. And it's not Him. Do you notice how in Scripture, particularly in the Old Testament, the prophets always rebuked the Israelites, telling them to "go back", "return", "seek the Lord while He may be found". Yes, this is the time when He'll always be found. He says in Hebrews, "never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."

But on our part, it's so easy for us to desert Him. When we refuse to "abide", going our own way, doing our own thing, making the wrong decisions and willfully sinning. Problems we all encounter from one time to the other.

Just a thought guys, make some sense?

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment