Friday, November 3, 2006

Preparing for the prince

That's what's happening here in Takai. They're preparing for the prince. Not the Prince of Peace. But the one person on earth who's got a really strong hold on that title. And I'm not talking about The Artist formerly known as Prince either. No. I'm talking about Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales and heir to the British Throne.

We received a delegation a couple of days ago with the news. The prince is coming.

Well, in truth, I do not believe he's really going to come but all the hullabaloo that has followed this announcement is worth taking pause to comment on. Everywhere has been agog with activity. Old walls being repainted, ceiling fans changed, lights refitted, even the gate gets a makeover. Nothing strange here, after all, in this society "eye-service" is always key to progress.

Reminds me of the whitewashed walls Jesus talked about in the gospels. A lot of polishing and shining to hide the dirt that lies beneath.

But what strikes me most about this whole prepping experience is the significance that lies in that statement: "preparing for the prince". I'll tell you, it's a task worth doing, for the right Prince anyway. How much, I wonder am I doing in getting ready for the return of my Lord? Unfortunately for me, he will see through every whitewashed wall and every hastily-fitted gate, right down to what lies beneath. My preparation cannot be done in a hurry. It must be well considered, deliberate and sustainable. Every work we do, the Bible says, will be shown for what it's worth - whether good or bad. The fire will bring it to light.

So, like Jesus said, let us work while it is day. Night is coming when no-one can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment