Monday, January 1, 2007

A Cold Shower

Mortals make elaborate plans, but GOD has the last word. Put GOD in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place.

Proverbs 16:1,3



Happy New Year everybody.

I always like having a nice hot bath whenever I get the opportunity, particularly when it's as cold as it is right now in Jos. Where I serve in Kano state there's hardly, make that never, electricity, and because I wake up late and lazy I hardly have time enough to heat water on the stove, so I often have to use cold water. But having a cold shower is quite an ordeal for someone who's not particularly used to it. I could stand in the bathroom for minutes on end, bowl of water in my hand, thinking about everything under the sun aside from having my bath. But what I've discovered is that starting to bath is the hardest part. So I gather as much courage as I can and then dump a full bowl on my head. After that, my best option is to get it over with as soon as I can, no more dallying. So, what's most important is starting.

So here we are, New Year. I'm sure we all think there's something or other we can do better this year than last year. Some of us may even have serious resolutions, things we've determined to do this year. What's it for you? A book you want to read? A new exercise regime? A friendship you want to develop? What's it going to be? Whatever the case, I'm sure it's very honorable. But I'll tell you, the best thing you can do for yourself is to start. Begin now. Don't wait for next month or next week, or even tomorrow. Get it on the road. Buy that journal. Make that call. Draw up that prayer list. Once you've done that, it'll be that much harder to stop and you're less likely to pass through yet another year with a string of unfulfilled plans.

You know the saying, "the first establishes the rest". That's too true. What you do at the beginning of this year will, to a large extent, determine the tone and tempo of the rest of the year. Are you going to sputter through, barely surviving another year or will you cruise through on a high?

I wish you all a great year.

With love, Doosuur.

No comments:

Post a Comment