Thursday, April 26, 2007

Learning the Roads of Kano, Part 1

For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts … They can clearly see his invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God.

Romans 1:19,20


It's a good thing I served in Kano state. You should have seen me today as I directed my driver through the streets of the ancient city as if I had drawn the map myself. I was pretty proud of myself, I must say, giving directions to a seasoned driver in a foreign city. His knowledge went only so far as the boundaries of Jigawa state, and Kano city, for him, was uncharted territory. So, naturally, I became his guide: "Go straight at the intersection … take a right here … slow down, you'll soon turn … can you see that green signboard?" I was in my element.

The good thing about it is that giving the directions came naturally for me. I didn't have to think hard or make any calculations. I didn't wonder, should we take this road or that? It all came to me without effort. Why? Because I remembered the way? No, not because I remembered but because I knew the way. Same difference you say? Well the distinction may be very subtle but sometimes it can mean a lot. Let me explain.

If you ask me my sister's name, I don't have to think about it. Her name is Nguavese and I can bet my life on it. I don't remember that it is her name. I know it for a fact. But then ask me who's that guy Austine just introduced me to. "Uhh, Obiora" I answer, because I remember when he said, "meet my friend Obiora." But I won't stake anything on it. For one thing, he may have said "Obioha" and I just didn't hear right, or maybe he told an untruth, or maybe Austine wasn't sure himself.

Do you see my point? Knowledge is so far superior to memory. Any good student will tell you that. It's so much easier to pass an exam when you actually know what you're writing about rather than just gushing out hastily-crammed snippets of information. Knowledge is indisputable. If you know something, you know it, period. Your memory on the other hand could easily be flawed.

So here's what I've learned. As a young, growing Christian, it is essential that I focus on what I know because that is what will see me through when the going gets tough. And it does get tough. Which of us has not struggled with questions of faith. Who can say he has not at some point been confused on some point of theology or other. Some of us have faced such difficulties on a larger and more staggering scale than others, but my advice is the same to everyone, regardless: Ask whatever question you will, search wherever you will, but when all is said and done, focus on what you know and have become convinced of because what you know for a fact will not be taken from you.

I may learn the fine points, but when my faith is challenged, trying to remember that verse or that quotation could easily be counterproductive. I must not ask myself, "Doosuur what can you remember?" If I start from what I know, I believe the rest will follow.

And here is what I know: "The Lord is God, and the Lord is good." And that will have to do.

With love, Doosuur.

Don't miss the second part, next.

No comments:

Post a Comment